How to File RTI Request in India ?
Do you know How to File RTI Request in India ? (where, how, who and what). Here is the complete Step by Step Details for Online and Offline Requests. Right to Information Act or RTI enables citizens to claim their right to information which is guaranteed by the constitution of India. All citizens can ask for information but there are some limitations.
Exemption provisions Under RTI
- National Security or Sovereignty
- National Economic Interests
- Relations with Foreign States
- Law Enforcement and the Judicial Process
- Cabinet and Other Decision-Making Documents
- Trade Secrets and Commercial Confidentiality
- Individual Safety
- Personal Privacy
The act is applicable to both the Central and the State Governments of India. Only exception is Jammu and Kashmir, as they have their own RTI Act. This act make the the government and each staff accountable for their work as the citizens can demand information regarding its activities anytime.
Information we can collect via RTI includes:
- Records, documents, circulars
- Contracts, reports, papers
- Emails, memos
- All other information in print or electronic form from the public authorities
How to File RTI Request offline in India ?
Citizens can simply file an application with a Central Public Information Officer (CPIO). (CPIO available at All the administrative levels of the government). They give required information to people who file an RTI application. Keep in mind that, there is no particular format required. This can be submitted on a plain white paper with correct contact details including name and correspondence address.
It is better to choose an application form for submission and also Application can be made on a photocopied form. If an applicant has difficulty with writing law allows submission orally. The central Act allows for submission via electronic means, for example, email or fax. You can also send application by post, if so consider sending it by “Under-Certificate Post” so that it will reach in a maximum of 3 days. Information sought under the RTI 2005 will be offered to the applicant within a time period of 30 days.
A simple format to Apply Under RTI is Below
“Under the RTI Act, kindly supply the following information:
.. .. ….
.. .. ….
My address for communication is:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
I enclose the requisite payment as
Fees and cost for RTI application procedure includes:-
- Application Fees: Rs. 10/- (per application)
- Rs. 2 per page printed, copied or created in A4 or A3 size
- Samples/models: Actual cost of sample/models
- Rs. 50 per disc if information is given in that form
- Fixed price for printed publication or Rs. 2/- per page of photocopy for extracts from publications
- No fees for first hour and a fee of Rs. 5/- for each subsequent hour for inspection
How to File RTI Request online in India ? Steps
- Visit the official website to apply online for RTI (https://rtionline.gov.in/index.php)
- Here you can see a section “Login for Registered Users”. If you have already registered then login with username and password. (Note: User Registration is not mandatory, if you don’t prefer to register then start from step 5) see image below
3. If you did not register, then go to registration page to get user name and password. This regurgitation form asks for your demographic information. See image below. Fill it and click on submit button. Provide your email address and mobile number correct to receive email notifications and SMS alerts after you file your RTI.
4. After clicking on :submit” you will get a confirmation mail on your registered email ID regarding your account with RTI website has been created. They also offer an activation ID. You have enter this ID in the form that comes after your initial registration form. Now you are logged in and you can start filing your RTI request.
5. As User Registration is not mandatory you can simply Click on “submit a request” option from home page itself. Read those GUIDELINES FOR USE OF RTI ONLINE PORTAL and tick the box (I have read and understood the above guidelines.) and click on “submit”.
6. Now you are redirected to a new window, here choose the Ministry/Department/Apex body, you have to file RTI application.
7. Then Select Public Authority and offer all Personal Details of RTI Applicant. Request Details like Citizenship also needed. Then enter text for RTI Request application which is upto 3000 characters. You can also upload Supporting document. Finally Enter security code and click on submit. Your RTI is successfully uploaded and queued.
8. In the next step you have to make payment. The RTI procedure is not complete without payment. There is a nominal fee of Rs. 10 and this amount you have to pay. This is a straightforward procedure through internet banking, debit or credit cards. Once the payment is successful, you will get email as well as SMS confirmation regarding your applications has been successfully received.
9. You have to keep unique registration number for any future reference. The whole process takes around 30 to 45 days for the applicant to receive the reply. You can click on “View Status” tab” and do follow-up. Once your RTI request is reviewed, CPIO contact the applicant through the RTI portal and applicant can see this through Status Report or e-mail alert.