Mobile Number Portability in India
How to Perform Mobile Number Porting in an Easy Way?
MNP or mobile number portability is a process that simply allows you to change from one mobile network to another without changing your present mobile number. Mobile number portability implemented in various parts of globe and currently in India too.
‘Recipient-Led’ porting system is used internationally for a customer who wishes to port his or her number. But India and UK are the only exceptions for this system. Here the method chosen is ‘Donor-Led’ porting system in which the customer required to contact the donor to obtain porting code and proceed. Most of countries offering MNP free of cost and in India you have to pay Rs.19 for this service.
Customers can port between prepaid and postpaid options too. if you have completed your 90 days period from the date of activation of mobile connection with the current provider you are eligible for porting. The Telecom Regulator Authority of India (TRAI) announced another happy new is that they have started pre process for the nation wide mobile number portability services.
So the users can continue with their numbers even they shifted from one area of service to another without many difficulties. You have to follow few simple steps to port your mobile number from one provider to another. Read the easy and safe methods and enjoy unlimited phonic features with your dear ones.
Essential documents for MNP
- Self attested photograph
- ID and address proof with signature
- Mobile number portability form
- Customer agreement form
- Current mobile number, operator name and UPC code
6 Simple Steps for Mobile Number Porting in General
- Send SMS to 1900 in the format: PORT <Your Mobile Number>
- Receive your UPC (unique porting code) with the expiry date and you have to apply with this code before the expiry date.
- Visit the store of service provider to which you have to port and complete their formalities and buy a MNP SIM card.
- New operator will acquire permission from the existing operator and after getting permission new operator will fix the time of porting and inform you via SMS.
- With an SMS to the existing number the current operator will disconnect the existing mobile number service for few hours. This is the non service period (12 midnight to 5 am).
- After non service time insert the MNP SIM and your new service operator will claim your number and services from them will be available soon.
Steps for mobile number porting to Vodafone
- Visit your nearest Vodafone store or mini store
- Have Your self attested photograph
- Have Your ID and address proof with signature
- Fill the Vodafone Mobile number portability form
- Complete the Vodafone customer agreement form:(Available in all Vodafone stores)
- For more details contact: 1800 1234567
Steps for mobile number porting to Airtel
- Send sms to 1900 in the format: PORT <mobile number>
- Receive your UPC code as an sms from 1901 with an expiry date
- Visit your near Airtel store
- fill Airtel mobile number portability form and customer agreement form
- specify your current mobile number, operator name and UPC code
- submit ID and address proof, self attested photo
- last bill copy needed for post paid connection
- buy the Airtel MNP SIM card
- receive sms from Airtel to your old number about date and time of initiating porting
- adapt with non service period(12 midnight to 5 am)
- after non service period replace your existing SIM with Airtel SIM
- for more details contact: 1800 103 1111
Some useful information about MNP
- No need to change your mobile number
- For porting you have to pay only Rs.19 as per TRAI
- Entire porting may takes up to 7 days
- Post paid customers should pay the bill before porting
- You are eligible for porting if you have an active connection at least 90 days old
- You need to have documents mentioned above
- A landline number cant port