Space Mouse is a professional 3D controller which is designed for manipulating objects in a 3D environment. It is developed by DLR Robots and Mechatronics. It allows the simultaneous control of all six degree of freedom. It means it is able to freely move in 3 dimensional space. The motion controls are like right-left, back-forward, up-down.
The main function of a mouse is translate the motion of your hand into signals that the computer will use. The 2 dimensional mouse can only moves in X and Y axes. But the space mouse can move in three dimensions, on the X, Y and Z axes.
The 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse is the world’s first wireless 3D mouse. It strives to optimize the way people interact with digital 3D content. The space mouse wireless combing 3Dconnexion’s patented 6-degrees-of-freedom sensor with 2.4GHz wireless technology for the first time. This 3Dconnexions space mouse serve in various industries and it is used by engineers, designers, architects and artists across the globe.
Parts of Space Mouse
There are two main parts in space mouse. They are image processing and robot control.
The role of image processing is to perform operations on a video signal, received by a video camera, to extract desired information out of the video signal.
The role of robot control is to transform electronic commands into movements of the manipulator.
Features of Space Mouse
Today the 3Dconnexions provide a balanced and cooperative work style in all industries in the world. This results in increased productivity, improvements in creativity and enhanced comfort.
- It is easy to operate objects in 3D applications.
- The device serves as an intuitive man-machine interface.
- There is 9 programmable buttons for motions control based on the users preference.
- It is settings to adjust sensitivity and motion control to the users preference
- Fingertip operation for maximum precision and performance.
- It is easy to detect errors, explore alternatives and present your work more efficiently.
Design of Space Mouse
- Navigation and QuickView Keys helps to detect errors, explore alternatives, and present your work more effectively for review.
- Keyboard Modifiers provide easy access to Control, Shift, Alt, and Esc functions, saving you time by reducing the need to move your hand to the keyboard.
- On-Screen Display provides a convenient on-screen reminder of the commands assigned to its Intelligent Function Keys, allowing you to focus on your designs.
- There is two USB cables, that is easy to connect and charge SpaceMouse Wireless whatever your desktop setup.
Benefits of using 3Dconnexions Space Mouse
- It has the ability to pan, zoom and rotate in one fluid motion and it decreasing standard mouse movements and clicks.
- No additional power supply is needed.
- It increases the overall productivity
- It would be a very comfortable interface
- It allows the user to move a robot system in the most natural way
- It has become a standard input device for interactive motion control of three-dimensional graphic objects in up to six degrees of freedom.
- Space mouse works with standard serial mouse interface without an additional power supply.